Monday 2 January 2017

Why I will never let my Son become a School Teacher ....

I followed my heart.
I became what I wanted to.
But today it seems it is the biggest mistake of my life.

I am a school teacher and teaching had always been my passion. This is what I can do the best. And that is precisely what I have been doing all these years. And the repercussions have been so bad till now that there are times I wonder why I became a teacher at the first place. And this is what has forced me to make up my mind that I will indoctrinate my son from an early age against becoming a teacher. At least a school teacher. And here are my reasons.

1. Society and Family.
2. Salary
3. Administration
4. Students
5. Parents

SOCIETY and FAMILY

The people who remain close to you always is your family. But what happens when they are the ones who term you a failure simply because you followed your dream to be a teacher?
When I talk to people i find I am taken for granted, and people actually make fun of me. For people en-mass a teacher is a person who is a failure in everything that he has done and hence a teacher. And I don't disagree with them completely because now a days mostly (99%) of those people become teachers who have either tried and failed or simply didn't want to do anything else.

People think teaching is like taking a walk in a park... except that it is a Jurrasic park....

SALARY

How much does an average PRT/TGT or PGT makes?

Peanuts. Yup peanuts. I am presently In a school that somewhat adheres to Central Pay Scales. So I am still kind of better of than my not so lucky counterparts.

Digest this. The teachers who taught me get 25K less than what I get as a teacher. My experience about 10  years. Theirs is about 25 to 30 years or more.
One of the least paid jobs is that of a teacher. In an average school a teacher gets paid way less than whhat a peon of a government job gets.

 ADMINISTRATION
Thats the real pain in ass. School admin which includes school owners, Principals and Admin people look down at teachers as if we are donkeys to be used as beast of burden. Principals tend to forget that at one point of time they were teachers too. The funniest part is You ask for a raise and they will point out all kinds of mistakes that we have ever made. And the moment you ask for a leave you become the most important person in the entire school as if the school will come to a standstill without you.

STUDENTS

I have come to the conclusion that never trust two kinds of people in school. The school administration and the students. They will say one thing in front of you and the exact opposite behind you. Though not universally applicable  it is a recurrent phenomenon. Students don't listen... and you cannot punish them. One particular case I came across has the guts to literally blast and challenge the principal ... i will do what i want to... what can you do?. So understand what we teachers are in front of such students.

PARENTS
We can handle everyone but the parents. There was a time when a poor grade by a students will incur wrath of parents on the students. Now we are forced to give good grades to students even if they perform badly. Else parents will say "we pay you. why cant our kids get good marks".
My reaction... go to hell. 

I will never let my son be a school teacher. Nopes. No way. he can be a peon if he wants to or anything else but a school teacher. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ones heart is out in the blog, refreshment for eyes.

Thanks for writing.....